Sunday, August 15, 2010

Why I’ve Been Neglecting This Blog

Over the past several years, I’ve tried to post something here at least four times a week and have managed to meet that goal most of the time. But I haven’t come close for some time now, for which I apologize.

The reason – note that I don’t claim it as an excuse – is that I’m trying hard to finish up a careful review of a copy editor’s changes and corrections to the manuscript for the 3rd edition of my book, All Aboard – The Complete North American Train Travel Guide.

This is a preview look at the new cover, designed by the publisher, Chicago Review Press. It’s quite different from the cover on the first two editions and I like it!

In the book, I write about what I find fascinating in train travel and that makes it quite different from the usual rail guides. For example, there’s a chapter about how railroads began -- the building of the transcontinental railways in both the U.S. and Canada -- one on how a railroad operates, and another describing the job of the operating crews – engineers and conductors and all the on-board service people.

There’s also a lot about planning a train trip, what to expect when you’re traveling and some suggested rail itineraries for the U.S, Canada and Mexico.

Now, after all that shameless self-promotion, it's back to the double-checking of the manuscript. I have just a half hour until the Red Sox game starts -- because I have my priorities, after all -- but will be back at it later this afternoon.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Hey Jim, congrats though I don't envy you the proofreading. So when's this book due to be available?

JIM LOOMIS said...

According to the publisher, it should be in bookstores around the first of the year. Still quite a bit of work to do. Next step is for a graphic artist to layout all the pages, then I get a final look at it before it's printed. But I like the way it's shaping up. Thanks for asking!

Larson said...

Hi Jim, Really looking forward to you new book. Is it going to be available in a Kindle version?

JIM LOOMIS said...

Yes, indeed ... book will be available in the Kindle format. Thanks for asking.